Wednesday, June 27, 2007

School, Natto, and living on a artificial island


Japanese in the morning and Art History after that. After class myself and a couple other students had lunch with the Dean. He is a really interesting guy. He told us how he did terrible in High School and none of the Colleges in Canada would accept him so he backpacked across Europe and Africa. After that he was finally accepted to a College where he acquired 2 masters degrees. He came to Japan during the bubble economy starting out as a English teacher. He then moved on to work at different companies being very successful in business.
He said that he decided to work as a Dean for Temple because of the impact College had on his life.
Temple was originally started by a Baptist church which is where it gets it's name. It's funny cause when I tell Japanese people that I go to Temple they sometimes ask if I'm Buddhist or if I really like Temples. Temple is a very unique University in that about 50% of the student body is international students. The Dean told us a lot of interesting things about Temple and I'm really glad that I choose this University to study at.
When I got back to my home station I headed to the 99yen shop near my house and picked up a 4 pack of Natto. Recently it's become one of my favorite foods and I ate three packs of it! I guess once you get used to it, it tastes great.
In the evening I took a walk around Odaiba and found a area that has some cannon mounts and it reminded me about Odaiba's history. Odaiba is a series of 6 man made islands constructed in 1853 by the Tokugawa Shogun. They were there to protect Tokyo from attack with the primary threat being Commodore Perry's Black Ships. Daiba in Japanese actually refers to the cannon batteries placed on the islands.




1 comment:

Brendan Elliott (武戀殿・絵理夫) said...

Good to see that you have finally come to realize the awesomeness that is Natto. :)