Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Udon, Work, and Soba

Hot again, headed out to Shinjuku and got there about a hour or two early so I could grab some lunch. I picked some random Udon chain restaurant and enjoyed some Udon, which is basically a thicker version of Ramen. After that I went to Club Sega and played After Burner which is pretty sweet cause the whole machine shifts side to side and other then the addition of a throttle for speed control the game play remains unchanged from the original. When that game finished I headed to Yodobashi Camera game section, since I had time to kill I headed to the top floor and worked my way down. The top floor was nothing but capsule toys, which are little toys that can be bought for 2-300 yen and come in a capsule. This is something that is pretty unique to Japan so I took a picture.

From there I headed to work and after work I headed home. Asakusa is a really quiet residential area but a lot of the streets have a very cool look and there seem to be a lot of cool restaurants and places to hang out. I stopped at a Soba shop and headed home.

1 comment:

Brendan Elliott (武戀殿・絵理夫) said...

I wouldn't really call capsule toys unique to Japan per se (you see very similar things for kids at grocery stores, turnpike stops, etc.), but their popularity of these machines and the quality of the items contained therein certainly is fairly unique to Japan. ;) In the US you pretty much just get plastic mustaches, cheap key chains, and super balls...