Friday, May 18, 2007

School and Sake tasting

Today I had Intellectual Heritage which is pretty much philosophy all over again, so it sucks and Race Studies which is always interesting. From there I went to a club in Roppongi with a couple girls for a school event.



It was a Sake Tasting at a club called Super Deluxe. It was through the school and they had some traditional cultural stuff. When I got there there were some ladies rockin' out on the Koto and later some guy tore it up on the Shamisen which is the traditional 3 string Japanese guitar. Apparently he was pretty good cause he ranked as second in the nation and had been playing since he was 9.



After that there was a group of girls from school that did some dance, which was pretty cool. That was followed by a talk from John Gauntner who is one of the world's leading experts on Sake. He gave a speech all about Sake from how it's made to how it should be drank. It was pretty interesting. After his speech they had about 7 different kinds of Sake that were available for sample. Since I knew the girls that were working the table I was able to sample those 7 different kinds about 7 times.

After that a couple hit hop artists came and did their thing which was pretty fun. We all talked about going to a club after and headed out around 11:00. From there we went to some club called "Flower" and were able to get in free cause of the people we know. There really wasn't much going on, I guess since it was a Thursday so I headed home after that and caught the second last train home.

2 comments:

Taro said...

Do you like Japanese SAke and Can you feel the difference of them? I hopw you will have a great time in Japan with a good relationship to your host family!

Brendan Elliott (武戀殿・絵理夫) said...

John Gauntner actually came to Cleveland several years back for a JASNO sake tasting event that I attended. I remember him giving a pretty good talk. I have one of his books (autographed). :)