Saturday, May 19, 2007

Karaoke and Wedding Party


Today I went to Daimon and did Karaoke with two friends. Karaoke in Japan is a blast because you get your own private room for just you and your friends. They have phones in the room so you can order drinks or food and they bring it to you while you sing. Some of the Karaoke places have really unusual themes too. One of the places called the Karaoke Zone always has some kind of giant cyborg skeleton on the front of the building and the halls are like caves, Other places are pretty normal but have different designs on the wall in the the Karaoke room or crazy lights. The place we went to today is called "Big Echo" and they had a great example of how the Japanese use English without it needing to make any sense. In the picture it says "A lot, a song should eat a delicious dish and should dance it all together." If anyone can tell me what this means, please let me know.

After that I headed home and hung out till about 6:30. From there I left to Shinjuku and went to the Park Hyatt in which is where they filmed much of "Lost in Translation". One of my former students got married and I was able to go to his wedding party. It was held on the 39th floor of the building and offered a great view of Tokyo. They had a table of different ordure's and waiters were serving drinks all night. When I first got there Nishida, my student and his wife were greeting everyone in Traditional Japanese clothes which was really cool. From there they changed to the traditional Western style wedding clothes and joined everyone for the reception.
One of the guys I met there is a CEO of his music production company and he played a couple songs on the Piano.
Another person I met is Nishida's current English teacher. He also wrote a script for a short film that they are currently producing for a film festival.
It was great cause I was able to meet my previous student, and meet many interesting people.

No comments: