Monday, October 29, 2007

School

The weather today was perfect. I had Japanese, Ethics, and Accounting like usual and headed home. One of the big things in the news recently is NOVA a large chain English school filing for bankruptcy. NOVA is one of the largest English chains in Japan that employed over 4000 teachers that are now out of work. Most of the teachers hadn't received a check for over a month and I met two teachers that had suffered those circumstances in my training at GABA a while back and this past Sunday I met 3 new NOVA students at the school I teach at in Shinjuku. The president of the company disappeared, I heard a rumor that he took some company money and left the country. Unfortunately, most of the teachers here don't have a great deal of savings and don't really have anyone that they can depend on for support in Japan. Some airline companies have stepped up to help by offering discounted air fair for teachers that want to return to their home countries and some of the Embassies have offered help. Crazy Stuff. Today's Count: 7

No comments: