Monday, January 12, 2009

Arriving in Japan

When I got to Tokyo it was already dark. I went through customs pretty quickly since I had a re-entry permit and got my bags. After getting some cash from the ATM I got my train ticket back to Tokyo. When you spend over 14 hours on a plane eating only airplane food, you start to smell like the food, it’s bad. Although I just got to the airport and went home, the differences were immediately apparent when I got back to Tokyo. When we were in Cleveland Steve mentioned the escalators in the Cleveland airport. This kept the idea in my head, and something that I was very used to after living in Japan became almost new and amazing to me again. The escalators were all very clean, ran smoothly and quietly and the airport itself also seemed much cleaner. Another thing that hit me as soon as I got back to Japan was the fact that men here are ok with wearing purple, pink, or even having and using a purple and pink suitcase. While this is something that men in the U.S. could be ridiculed or beat up for, it’s just everyday life in Tokyo. Last but not least, was of course the ladies. All the women I saw were dressed like women, with no ugly grey sweat pants or sloppy looking pajamas in sight. Although some women in the US may be offended by this, they are usually the women who don't really care about what they look like when they go out or put any effort into looking good.

No comments: