Wednesday, December 24, 2008

14 hour flight

Long day today. Headed to Narita around 2:00 and when I got there I found out that my flight was delayed for two hours. Luckily I was able to find a power outlet to plug into and played a some Portal while I waited. I hate how the airports all charge to use the Internet, so dumb. When I got on the flight I was pretty lucky cause I was the only person in my row so I was able to lie down and sleep a bit. Since the flight is 14 hours, it’s good to be able to sleep a bit.
When I got to Chicago the first thing I noticed was the amount of fat people, the second being the snow. Crazy stuff. Living in another country for a year and a half really changes your perspective on your home country. There is a saying “you know you’re in Japan when you take the train from Tokyo to Osaka and check your watch to make sure the time is right when you get there, but when you take the train in America you check your watch to see how late the train is.” I think another one that can be added to that is “You know you are in Japan when you see a guy and aren’t sure if he is a guy or not, and you know you are in America when you see a girl and aren’t sure if she is a woman or not.” At least that is one of the first observations I made. The men in Japan sometimes dress very feminine and the girls here in the US sometimes dress very un-feminine.
So, I got to Chicago and had a two hour layover there and then when I finally boarded the plane there was another one hour delay cause the sensor in the door wasn't working so I think I got home around 11:30. Still on Japan time and my parents got a new TV, so I was up till around 3 playing video games on it. It's awesome!

No comments: