Sunday, April 20, 2008

the Frost wedding

When I was here in 2005 I met Daniel and Chieko since they lived in the same building as me and we've been good friends since then and today was the day of their wedding~!
Woke up around 7:00 to get ready for the wedding today. Everyone was supposed to meet in the Lobby at 8:45 but Mike and I moved a little slower than expected and just made it on time. Fortunately, there were a couple other late comers so it wasn't a big deal. From the Hotel we got on a bus and took a short ride to the near by temple. There we got to see Daniel and Chieko before the wedding in the traditional outfits.
From there we went to the Temple for the wedding ceremony. It was my first time at a Japanese style wedding and it was pretty interesting. The couple sat together in the middle with friends and family on both sides. The priest did the ceremony and there were two girls that helped with the drums and a flute type instrument. It doesn't sound like a flute, but I don't know what else to call it. Daniel memorized a long speech in Japanese that he had to say, and the Japanese in the speech was pretty difficult because it was really old school. Then they poured had Sake poured and shared the cup drinking it three sips at a time to finish it. Before we left the temple everyone got a little Sake and some kind of Snack. We went outside and did some more pictures before heading back to the Hotel. The Taxi that Daniel and Chieko took had a section in the roof that opened to allow easier access for Chieko in her wedding hat. When we got back to the Hotel, we had more photos taken and then had the reception.
The reception was on the 12th floor of the Hotel and had a great view of the city. They opened and closed the curtains cued with different music making the whole reception seem like a movie. We had a 8 course meal which filled me up. Some friends and family made speeches and the Wedding Planner lady read a life profile of Daniel and Chieko which was pretty cool. She told about their lives when they were young, how they met, and the different jobs they had. They played a video from Daniel's family in New Zealand which was cool.
Daniel and Chieko wanted me to play the guitar, so I had brought it last night on the train. Unfortunately, the long ride and temperature changes had effected the tuning of the guitar and I had to tune it using the piano that was there. I couldn't get it perfect, but it worked out OK. Before I started playing I explained how the song was one that we made up about the building that we lived in and how we used to sing it quite often in 2005. When the reception had finished Daniel chose the song "Go West" by the Village People to play as they exited, which was hilarious.
At one point they left and changed outfits, but I don't remember when that happened so I'm adding that detail now. After the wedding, the family and a couple friends all met up in Daniel's room and we hung out for a bit before heading back to Tokyo.
Mike and I were both tired and didn't feel like taking a 4 hour train ride home so we took the Shinkansen (Bullet Train). Unfortunately, the non smoking cars were full so we had to ride in a smoking car, but the shorter time in the train overall made it worth it.
When I got home around 8, I had dinner and spent the rest of the day studying for accounting. There is so much material to study, it's bad.

No comments: