Sunday, December 2, 2007

JLPT test, visit to Yasukuni, and the Onsen

Got up early this morning and headed out to the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) Level 2. Level 2 is second from the top and is really hard to pass. The test is all multiple choice and is only offered once a year. My test was at a College and used 6 floors of class rooms. In the room I was in there were about 80 people and that was just one of the test locations. Three of my friends took it, wound up taking the test at different locations. From 9:45-10:45 was the Writing and Vocabulary, basically testing your ability to recognize Kanji and use correct vocab words in sentences. 11:15-12:15 was the Listening part, where they play a CD and you answer questions based on what you hear.



After the listening I had a hour break so I headed to the controversial Yasukuni Shrine which was about a three minute walk from the College that I was taking the test at. It was a lot larger than I thought and there were many parts to it. Due to limited time I just looked around, took some pictures and left. They had some exhibits that looked interesting but you had to pay to see them. Yasukuni is pretty controversial because it glorifies people who fought in World War II and when the former Prime Minister, Koizumi would make his yearly visit there the Chinese would get upset. There was a old guy there with a shirt that had the Japanese flag and the Old national flag with a bunch of Kanji playing the Shamisen (Japanese Style Guitar) and they had some statues and things that were used during the war.

1:15-2:40 back at the College to finish the reading and Grammar section of the test. While I had planned on studying a lot for the test back when I signed up for it, I got too busy with school and didn't have time to study like I should have. I'll get my results in three months but I already know what they are.

On the way home I saw a interesting add for a trip to India so I took a picture of it. What the heck India. Be Nice!

When I got home, the host family, and two previous host students and I all headed to the Onsen, Did the sand bath, had Ramen and Gyoza for Dinner and enjoyed the Onsen.

1 comment:

Brendan Elliott (武戀殿・絵理夫) said...

You had an hour break between sections of the test!! Those of us taking Level 1 in Chicago had a 4-minute break between the first two sections (45 min each) and a 3-minute break before the final section (90 min). Barely enough time to go to the bathroom and stuff a calorie mate bar in my mouth followed by some water. This was after they had originally told us we would have two 10 min breaks instead of a 20 min break half way through. Oh, well, it's over now. I think I didn't do too much worse than the practice tests I took, so I should hopefully get somewhere between 60-75% (with luck over 70%, which is passing...).

When I took Level 2 in 2003 after two years at CWRU and a year at Waseda, I didn't have a problem passing with a 70% (60% is passing for Level 2) without really studying for it at all.