Friday, June 6, 2008

School, Ramen, and hanging out with Eri

Stat in the morning. Had the test which I think I did well on and then the computer class. After class some friends and I all went to Ramen Jiro a ramen chain in Tokyo that always has a line wrapped around the building during the day. They serve huge portions and if you can eat all of the biggest size, you should feel accomplished, or at least feel like not moving for a while. It's a crazy amount of food and not recommended more than once a month, but it's a lot of fun to challenge it.
After that I sat down at school for a couple hours while I waited for my body to digest the food so I could get back home ok. Once I got home I took a shower and headed out to Roppongi where I met up with Eri. We headed to Roppongi Hills and the Tokyo City view. It's pretty cool cause it's 53 stories up from the ground and offers a awesome view of the city. One of the current exhibits currently being held was the BMW Art Car Collection. It was pretty interesting, people just painted some BMW cars and they had them placed in a really cool room. It had a ton of clear plastic tubes hanging from the ceiling creating a walking path and a very unique effect. They had some cool lighting set up in the corners of the room to simulate cars driving by at night. You're not supposed to take pictures but when I tried to anyhow I found that my camera needed to be charged so I wasn't able to get any shots of the room.
The Mori art museum is also there and has a lot of really strange but interesting art on display. There were a couple that really stuck out for me. One that was kinda weird was a cow cut down the middle and put in a glass box so you could see the insides, it looked like something from a weird movie. One of the other cool things they had was a black sphere that was cut in half and the way it was presented made it look like you were looking into a black hole. It was really cool. They had a bunch of cool video art, which ranges from interesting and cool, to just plain weird.
Recently they opened the Sky Deck so you can walk around on the top of the building and take in a breath taking view of Tokyo with no windows to create any annoying glare. The weather was great that day and even 54 floors up, on the roof in the open air it was very comfortable. The air was warm with a cool breeze occasionally blowing across the surface of the building. It was amazing to see all of Tokyo lit up with nothing between you and the city.
After we went to Koots, a Japanese style cafe with a lot of green tea flavored drinks and traditional snacks. It was pretty good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, Im in yamanashi right now and will be in Japan for the next 2 and a half weeks so if you know of any cool things going on or recommend any good clubs or anything at all, let me now or post it on your next post. I was actually just in Roppongi and passed by a Koots near the north tower i think. Its interesting to actually see all the places that I read about in you, and tokyojosh:s blog... anyway...peace and if you know of anything going on pleace post it....
Dave