Thursday, January 7, 2010

Work and life in Japan

ToToDoN for lunch and then work. As any of you following this blog know, I'm pretty much been in Japan for 3 years straight now. While most of my friends speak English and my job and school all involve English over time Japanese English becomes more prominent in daily conversation and sometimes I'm not sure what is real English and what isn't. I first noticed this when my parents were in town to visit I found myself using words with them in conversation which they didn't always understand. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are "O-cha" meaning tea, "combini" meaning convience store, and "aircon" for air conditioner. I guess I use a lot of these in my English conversation because they are shorter and easier to say than their English counter parts. Another word which I noticed recently is "Eco" It's used in English as well, but I'm not sure if my pronunciation of the word is English or Japanese and none of my friends know either. It's crazy how parts from another language can seamlessly blend into your native language when living abroad.

No comments: