Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Work and Japanese comedy

ToToDoN for lunch and then work. Also I found a funny clip from a Japanese TV show featuring a comedy team called Downtown. I think these guys have a couple different shows that they host and I think are some of the best comedy shows in Japan. My favorite show with them is Hey Hey Hey, which is a show where they interview Japanese and foreign musical artists. This is probably my favorite show on Japanese television because many times the hosts give the guests a hard time and you can tell that they are sometimes annoyed by it. Anytime they have foreign artists on as well, it's good to see their response to these guys. I guess the reason I like this show the most is that it feels more like an American comedy talk show with a Japanese style to it.

Most Japanese comedy is very visual and from an American point of view can come off as slightly childish or possibly too simple. I think you need to really watch it and gradually you learn to understand and appreciate it. The clip below is from one of the many shows that Downtown is involved with and the goal of this show is not to laugh.

No comments: