Thursday, August 20, 2009

At the auto auction, and Meguro Jiro

Got up early today and met up with some one of my friends who exports cars and we drove out to Chiba to the auto auctions. I came along cause I'm making a promotional video for his company and it was a nice change from the everyday grind. It was way out in the country side and Japan looks very different from Tokyo out there, no tall buildings but the high heels are still popular.
When we got there we signed in and headed out to start getting footage. The auction is the biggest in Japan and some of the cars are designated for export and others are sold and remain in Japan. The lot is so huge that there is a shuttle bus that moves people around the lot from section to section. Inside there are two bidding rooms with massive screens at the front showing cars that are being bid on and seats with bidding stations lined up like the inside of a lecture hall. It was pretty crazy. I checked out the Ferrari that I was thinking of bidding on and then after I got the footage I needed we headed to his lot in Kawasaki.

Shot some more footage at the lot in Kawasaki and drove around in an Evo IV which was pretty sweet. It's a older car but it's still twin turbo, all wheel drive, and 280 horse so it's fun.

In the evening I stoped home dropped my stuff and headed out to Meguro where I met up with John and we went to the Ramen Jiro there. It was around 9:00 by the time we got there and there was a line of over 18 people and it was still growing. The Meguro Jiro is probably the best Jiro outside of Mita that I have been to so far. The noodles are thick like Mita and the broth is very good. The only thing is that when we ordered I think they gave us smaller portions cause we are foreigners. Next time I'll get that straightened out.

No comments: