Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Okinawa

Got on the flight out of Haneda at 6:20 to Okinawa. When we got close to landing the view out of the window was awesome. The water is so clear you can see all the way to the bottom from the plane. Today was actually colder than I expected. When I arrived at the airport I met my friend Dollar who works in the same industry as me. We grabbed some food and then met with my buddy Charles who is doing some consulting work for the military here. We stopped at Kadena Air Base and got some food and things for the week and then headed to his place.

Okinawa has a very different feel from Tokyo but seems very different from the Hawaii image that I had in mind. I don't think there are any trains here and almost everyone seems to get around by car. The taxis here are much cheaper than in Tokyo but the buses are more expensive.

I hope I'm not here for too long, since I've landed I heard about a few smaller quakes near Tokyo but also some good news about the reactors starting to cool down and radiation levels in Tokyo dropping to normal. While the Japanese news tends to underplay the recent events the Western news tends to overplay it but I'm hoping thinks will be back to normal by the end of the week.

No comments: