Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tokyo Motor Show

Headed to the Motor show this afternoon for the last day. It's called the Tokyo Motor show but is actually located in Chiba so it takes a little more than an hour to get there. I got there around 4 and so it wasn't too crowded when I got there and I was able to get a good view of most everything.
The show this year was smaller than usual because many of the foreign manufactures didn't come due to the sad state of the auto industry currently. So it was all the major Japanese companies and Lotus.
Toyota had one crazy electric concept vehicle and a plug in Prius. The main attraction there was the FT-86 concept which is a rear-wheel drive coupe made help give Toyota a cooler image again. The display they had was awesome cause when they did their demo of it they had two girls stand by it and another girl shred an electric guitar. It was kinda weird but awesome. My first thought was, "she's kinda cute" followed by "she's really good at guitar". As usual with every car show that I've been to in Tokyo half of the people are taking pictures of the girls and half take pictures of the cars, I like to do a mix of both.

Lexus was the main reason I went to the Motor Show this year. The new LF-A. This thing was awesome. It was low but a little bigger than I had expected. 68% of the body is made from Carbon Fiber and Toyota even made special looms to weave the A-pillar on the car. Very cool stuff. They had a side room where they had a 1:1 replica of the car build out of glass and lit it up which just looked cool. The other concept was some 4-door which didn't do much for me.

Yamaha helped build and design the engine for the LF-A and they had the full on race spec version on display as well as some displays showing how they used their musical background to fine tune the engine to make it sound really awesome. I really liked the one showing the guitar and engine cover. Yamaha also had some crazy lookin' electric bikes and some cute girls who danced to "ABC" by Jackson 5.
Nissan didn't have anything really impressive. They had a couple weird concepts. The land glider which is like a motorcycle/car which seats two people. It's interesting design cause although it's a 4-wheel vehicle, it actually leans when turning not unlike a motorcycle. They also had some crazy "SUV/sports" concept which I though just looked crazy.

Subaru had some cute girls, and Lotus was showing off it's new model with a new model. Mazda was showing off their new concept and that was really about it from those three.
Last but not least was Honda. Their two main concepts were the CR-Z, the new CR-X, and the Skydeck which I think is all electric. I wasn't really paying too much attention to it. I took a picture of the Japanese Fit because I like the shape of the better since it doesn't have to meet the stringent crash test requirements of the US market.
Honda also had the Civic Type-R on display which I think was previously available only in Europe. The Honda Accord here in Japan is the Acura TSX in the US and a fine car in either country. They also had some new bike on display. When it gets close to closing time at most car shows that I've been to in Japan they line up all the girls so you can take pictures and wave goodbye which is why I always recommend staying till closing. On the way home I stopped by Koiwa where I met up with John and we went to the Koiwa Jiro. It's supposed to be the best Jiro and it didn't disappoint.

No comments: