Friday, February 13, 2009

School, party, and cops

Headed to school today like usual. Took the law test and then had the HR capstone class. After class some friends and I all headed to Takeshiba where we went to a club called "No Name" for the Valentine's day Glitterball party. We got there around 6 and got a rundown of the club and where were were doing that night. 4 people worked the coat check, two people were on the doors and one other person and I were on the raffle tickets. The party started at 7 so we all headed across the street for food and then came back. It was pretty cool cause they had two floors that were all divided with different genres of music. It was all you can drink until 12 and there was a Mexican restaurant giving out free taco things which were ok. I still haven't had Mexican food here that lives up to U.S. standards. Anyhow, since I was staff I had free drinks all night but I only worked till 12. The raffle was pretty good and had some good prizes. There were stays at 5-star hotels, ski trips, theater tickets, and the grand prize was a trip to Macau. Pretty cool. I had to work the next day so I left around 2.
The trains had stopped and I didn't want to pay too much for a taxi so I decided to walk to the usual station that I use near school. The weather was really nice, in the 70's. For no reason, other than that fact that I was white and walking along the street at 2am 4 cops stopped me, asked me where I was from, what my job was, where I lived, and what I was doing. They proceeded to frisked me and search my bag and wallet. I guess when the population is made up of 99.9% one race, racism against minorities tends to be more common and people don't really care to change it. After that I got back on track to where I was headed and took a taxi home.

No comments: